| Apis koschevnikovi
|Species:|| A. koschevnikovi|
| Apis koschevnikovi|
|File:Apis koschevnikovi distribution map.svg|
|Range of Apis koschevnikovi|
Apis koschevnikovi, commonly called Koschevnikov's bee, is a species of honey bee which inhabits Malaysian and Indonesian Borneo, where it lives sympatrically with other honey bee species such as Apis cerana (specifically A. c. nuluensis).
The species was first described by Buttel-Reepen, who dedicated it to Grigory Aleksandrovich Kozhevnikov (1866–1933), a 19th-century pioneer of honey bee morphology. This was an invalid designation, however, and the name was first formally made available by Günther Enderlein that same year, so Buttel-Reepen is not the author of the name (following the ICZN). The species was described again by Maa in 1953, this time with the name Apis vechti. It was finally rediscovered by Tingek et al. in 1988.
A. koschevnikovi hosts a unique species of the honey bee parasitic mite genus Varroa, named Varroa rindereri (Guzmán et al., 1996). Although this parasite species is quite similar to Varroa jacobsoni it is perfectly differentiable. It has only been reported in colonies of A. koschevnikovi in Borneo and seems to be specific to that species, as it has yet to be observed crossing over to colonies of A. cerana, even when they live in the same apiary.
- Maa T. C. (1953) "An inquiry into the systematics of the tribus Apidini or honeybees (Hym)". Treubia 21, 525–640.
- Tingek S., Mardan M., Rinderer G., Koeniger N., Koeniger G. (1988) "Rediscovery of Apis vechti (Maa, 1953): the Sabah honey bee". Apidologie, 19, 97–102.
- Rinderer, T. E.; Stelzer, J. A.; Oldroyd, B. P.; Tingek, S.. "Levels of polyandry and intercolonial genetic relationships in Apis koschevnikovi". Journal of Apicultural Research, 1998 37 (4): 281-288.
- Guzmán, L. I. DE Y M. Delfinado Baker. "A new species of Varroa (Acari: Varroidae) associated with Apis koschevnikovi (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in Borneo". Int. J. Acarol., 22: 23-27, 1997.
- Links to scholarly articles about Apis koschevnikovi
- New haplotypes for the non-coding region of mitochondrial DNA in cavity-nesting honey bees Apis koschevnikovi and Apis nuluensis
- Database of the mitochondrial DNA of Apis koschevnikovi
- Crossfostered drones of Apis cerana (Fabricius, 1793) and Apis koschevnikovi (Buttel-Reepen, 1906) fly at their species specific mating times.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|